Mother's Ear

Sleep, the glorious oblivion where rational thoughts and irrational fears fade. For over a week now, sleep has evaded me. I now have a “Mother’s Ear”. With two sick children - first one, then the other - I have been on constant alert. Listening for the cough or whimper that is my cue. Even as the sickness has now claimed me, I sit awake, unable to sleep to heal my body, praying for health to come to our family.

Even before any illness, I believe a Mother receives her listening ears. Though not signaled by the tinkling of a bell when an angel gets her wings; ours are bestowed upon us when we hear the first cries of our firstborn. I remember lying in the hospital bed after the nurses had taken our son to the nursery to “give me some rest” in between feedings. I strained to hear his cry. To pick his out of the myriad of babies’ voices down the hall. And so it began. Isn’t it amazing, after almost six years of his and four years of hers, my ears can detect the smallest of sighs or cries of discomfort across the house?

Even as I sit in the early morning hours, deprived of sleep and nursing my own fever, I am so thankful for my “gift”. I pray that I will be forever vigilant and able to provide care and comfort to my children whatever may come. And now, I must return to my bed to snuggle with my daughter. Although my ears are ready, I think I’ll give them a bit of a rest and keep her close tonight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Be Grateful

Finding Joy

A Grape Jam Day